recipes: Chicken Soup (for the soul)

Super easy recipe for you today! This is a recipe for simple, homemade chicken soup that my mother taught me. It takes about an hour minimum to boil up, and is SO delicious.

To save money at uni whilst buying meat, what I often do is buy a whole chicken for about £4-5 and chop it up myself - this way I have good quality and good sized thighs, legs, breasts, and wings for such a cheap price. (Really tried not to giggle when I was typing about having good quality breasts, failed miserably.) After I've chopped up all my meat and stored it in the freezer, I'm left with lots of bits... you know, scrap bits of meat, the backbone, etc. My mother and I aren't faint with bones, and in fact they give the most flavour, so why waste it?! When life throws a chicken backbone at you, MAKE SOUP!

If you are a bit squeamish, I see nothing wrong with chopping up a bit of meat you're more familiar to and using that instead! & if you are using the bones, remember to chop off any weird bits like the wrinkly neck.



Ingredients

  • bits of chicken (doesn't that sound appetising...)
  • vegetables - I like carrots and onions in mine
  • vegetable stock
  • seasoning - salt and pepper to taste, optional chilli/mixed herbs/etc
  • a medium sized pan of water
This recipe really isn't exact - it's all about throwing an uncertain amount of chicken in with an uncertain amount of water and allowing to quietly boil in the background. After about half an hour ,add your vegetables and seasoning. I'd say it's about ready to eat after an hour altogether, but you can boil for longer if you wish. 

This is SUCH a comforting and yummy soup, and far more nutritious than canned soups which are packed full of preservatives - you know exactly what's gone into this, so it's very healthy. You can store it in the freezer as well if you don't use it all up straight away! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Contact

If you have any questions or enquiries please feel free to contact me! You can reach me at emily.louisep@outlook.com or on Twitter with the handle @hellofromemily

About

A lifestyle and travel blog by a 22 year old living in Hong Kong.

Grab my Blog Button!

Hello From Emily