recipe: Vegetable rice and pesto salmon

One really quick and easy meal I love to make is salmon with rice. This entire dish takes about 15 minutes if you time yourself well, and it's deliciously healthy. I love salmon fillets - at home I get the best quality from my dear mother's shopping list but if you're on a university budget it's a good idea to check out the local fishmongers or the supermarket freezer section - Asda do bags of decent quality frozen fish fillets that are really good value and still yummy. 

If you find rice boring, a brilliant tip is to cook it in stock water rather than plain. This gives the rice a little colour and herby flavour - vegetable stock is the most delicious. 


INGREDIENTS (serves 1)

  •  1 salmon fillet
  • spoonful of green pesto
  • half a cup rice
  • one cup water
  • half a vegetable stock cube
  • mixed veg - I chose yellow and orange peppers, and green peas
  • handful of mixed salad
METHOD
  1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius. Prepare tray with tinfoil (easier to clean up).
  2. Lay salmon fillet skin side down, spoon a little green pesto over the top. Bake in oven for 10 mins.
  3. Meanwhile, dissolve stock cube into one cup of hot water. Pour over half a cup of rice and cook until all the water has disappeared. A rice cooker is best, I have a microwave rice cooker, but you can also do this in a pot on the boil. This will take between 7-10 mins - keep checking and stirring every 2-3 mins.
  4. When very little water is left, you know the rice is almost done. Add chopped vegetables and stir into rice. 
  5. Take the rice and veg off the heat once the rice is cooked, and serve.
  6. Serve the salmon on a bed of salad. I love baby leaves and rocket with my fish! 


So easy, so quick, and it looks impressive too. Student dinners don't always have to be pasta or beans!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Contact

If you have any questions or enquiries please feel free to contact me! You can reach me at emily.louisep@outlook.com or on Twitter with the handle @hellofromemily

About

A lifestyle and travel blog by a 22 year old living in Hong Kong.

Grab my Blog Button!

Hello From Emily